Stoked to announce my 2nd release with UVD TOYS
GHOST BONER" BOMP BOP
3" resin figure
LIMITED EDITION!! OF 25 PIECES!
Packaged with a header card and popsicle stick!
MORE INFO HERE!
This figure stands approximately 3" tall and is made of hand cast tri-color resin.
Featuring a removable Popsicle stick with custom laser etching.
This is a collaboration with me and the fine folks at UVD TOYS and sculpted by JennBot
I did the poster for Failure’s show in Columbus, OH! I only got a handful of these and will make them available to my newsletter subscribers FIRST. So if you haven’t done it already SIGN UP FOR MY NEWSLETTER! I’ll let everyone know soon when these’ll be available off my site.
The cool folks at KERRANG hit me up to do their cover and interior artwork to celebrate Gerard Way (of My Chemical Romance) and his new series on Netflix "THE UMBRELLA ACADEMY". I was stoked and couldn't say no to such a cool opportunity. By chance this is the 4th project I've done associated with Gerard Way. Totally weird to type that last sentence. I'm stoked that I've been an artist this long. Why haven't any pianos fallen on me yet (...knock on wood)?
I ended up doing 3 illustrations for the project. They requested that I draw Gerard from the "Revenge…" album era of his life. Since it's a weekly magazine the deadline was INSANE! I had a little over a week to turn in sketches, get approval and then turn in finished pieces. Normally it takes me a week to design and illustrate a poster. 1 poster! One!! That's how my brain and hands work. Somehow I was able to cram 3 illustrations into 1 week. My brain STILL hurts but I'm very proud of completing the project and the final results.
Trying to get the vibe of the cover and be on the same page as my art director and editor took me a few tries. They were really patient with me and let me find my groove. Sometimes it takes more than 1 try. Sometimes it takes 13 tries.
I started out by fitting the subject in the Umbrella Academy outfit from the show. The magazine wasn’t feeling it and that was fine. Drawing people in suits is much easier. For some reason I just wanted to give him red eyes whenever I could. I guess it kind of made him look too evil. One day I’ll get to draw a portrait and make them look like a vampire. One day…
After the last try the art director and editor were happy and I got to finish the piece. Normally I would’ve turned in sketches for all of the illustrations at the same time but there wasn’t much time and I really wanted to get as close to a likeness of Gerard as time would allow me. Again I only had a few days. So I turned in sketches for the other 2 illos once the cover was finished. I’m sure now I could draw him in my sleep.
I inked these as I normally do but then finished everything in Photoshop! In the 17 (or is it 16 or is it 13) years I've been a full time freelance artist I've done all my color and design work in Illustrator. I wanted to try something new for this. My brain is still angry with me but… as I said I'm REALLY HAPPY with the final pieces.
For the “Umbrella” piece the art director had sent over an idea of Gerard holding an umbrella. I liked the idea and just put my own spin on it. I always wanted to draw someone holding an umbrella as skulls rained down on them. I was really enjoying Photoshop with this piece. Again, I normally used the program to make jpgs. It took some courage (aka stupidity) to try it on a freelance project instead of waiting to do a personal piece. Which I never have time for.
The “Typewriter” piece was also fun to do but I was freaking out at this point. The art director referenced the Nick Cave poster I had designed and wanted basically that. Easy. But I didn’t make it easy. ( I never do…) I knew that he didn’t want me to replace Nick’s head with Gerard’s and call it day. So I had to come up with another way of drawing something I had already done without copying myself. So I threw everything in there. Hence the Easter Eggs. The only similarity is that I wanted to draw Gerard typing as if he were playing the piano. Same as what I did for the Nick Cave poster. Plus they’re both wearing suits.
So here are the Easter Eggs:
1. I hid the Umbrella Academy logo on the cover.
2. The typewriter is an Adler Universal 39. Same machine that Jack Torrance uses in the movie “The Shining”.
3. The Umbrella Academy logo takes place of the Adler logo for the typewriter. Plus I “hid” my “signature” signature on the other side. I think it’s egg-worthy.
4. Number 6 is the dead brother from the show. He’s dead the whole time so I didn’t spoil anything. I told the art director it was Vanya’s number because I only had a Netflix ad to go off and I was trying to do 3 weeks of work in 1 week! One week!!! I read the graphic novel years ago and just went with it cuz I knew how it ended. I hadn’t seen the show while I was working on these. After turning in the job a few days later the show premiered. 5 minutes in and I thought “I totally messed up!” But then #6 ends up being dead the whole time. So that totally works. Take that dementia!
I didn’t hafta fire myself. Lucky me…
5. That’s Vanya’s violin on the wall.
6. I “hid” 3 books on Gerard’s desk. ALL published by Dark Horse! Pretty sneaky I know.
• “The Umbrella Academy” (obviously).
• “The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys” (sorta obvious). I did one of the covers for that mini series and also an art print that you should pick up nudgenudgewinkwink! Gerard Way wrote the book and Becky Cloonan (the coolest person alive) drew it.
• ”Don’t Hold Your Breath” (not obvious). In 2010 Dark Horse published a book on me and my artwork. I recently heard it was soon to be on permanent display in the Smithsonian. It’s true! And dogs can’t look up!
I’m sure it’s in the bargain bin.
7. Alexisonfire has a new album coming out. They should hire me!
8. Kerrang also made the COVER and UMBRELLA illos into posters that come with the magazine. Pretty stoked! Can’t wait to see them sell for millions on ebay…
9. To date this is the fourth project I’ve done involving this dude aka Gerard Way. If anyone can name all 4… I will hook you up with a bunch of cool crap. Email me. If you physically own all 4 I will give you a free drawing! Luckily I don’t hafta disqualify my family. They have no idea what I do for a living.
You can pick up the magazine at your local newsstand or get it online here. If they send me any copies I'll post them to my shop.
“God’s Lonely Man”
18”x24” Signed & Numbered screenprint
Yesterday marks the film’s 43rd anniversary since it’s release on February 8th, 1976.
I, like every other bitter and young person, LOVED Taxi Driver after I first saw it. When Travis Bickle says “Loneliness has followed me my whole life, everywhere. In bars, in cars, sidewalks, stores, everywhere. There's no escape. I’M GODS LONELY MAN…” I could easily relate. Plus the score by Bernard Hermann was perfect and sadly his last. He passed away after completing it.
The print was originally done for SPOKE ART and their Scorsese show back in 2013. Since then it’s been published in a few books and it hangs in DeNiro’s office at Tribecca Films. Thanks John!!!
While I was working on this and geeking out on every detail of the film and Bickle ’s jacket I noticed the patches and was inspired to make a patch to go along with the print release. That I ended up releasing later cuz life got in the way. CLICK HERE to see the embroidered patch design and the fleece blanket.
I’ll be a part of STICKER DROP 2 this weekend at
Sundown. Gallery & Studios
921 e. roosevelt st., Phoenix, Arizona 85006
MORE INFO HERE!!!!
Sadly I won’t be in attendance but I’ll have a crapload of STICKERS there for you guys to grab!!! If you go take some pics! I’d love to see how it went down!
BAT SCRATCH FEVER!
Last year the "Love At First Bite" cards sold out immediately and there just wasn't enough time to print more before the holiday deadline. So I'm bringing them back along with the popular "Tell Tale Heart" cards for the holiday.
Valentine's Day is creeping up on us! It's that time of year again where people start scrambling over what to get for their special someone.
Panic sets in...
Sure you can get them flowers (again...), or chocolates. But what does that say about you? It says you kinda suck as a human being and really don't care about that person (or cared to ask if they have allergies). In this day and age?! C'mon!!!
Break free from those chains and get them something from your heart! You don't want to just make that special awesome amazing person grateful that you saved them from feeling alone during one of the most lonely holidays. YOU WANT THEM TO SWOON! You want them to stay for breakfast!
PLEASE PLEASE read the DEADLINE info below!
DEADLINE TO RECEIVE ORDERS BEFORE FEBRUARY 14th
All orders ship using First Class Domestic or First Class International
INTERNATIONAL - Orders placed before February 1st will arrive on time for you to get some lovin' from this card! I kid you not!
DOMESTIC- Orders placed before February 6th will arrive on time for you to name your first kid after me (sometime in November)!!! It's "Brian" with an "I"...don't mess it up!
LOVE AT FIRST BITE CARD
Size: A7 (5"x7")
Envelope : Black
The card reveals a secret message underneath the heart of the bat.
Sorry NO custom messages.
Shops -inquire about wholesale pricing!
Size: A7 (5"x7")
Envelope : Black
THE TELLTALE HAERT CARD
Size: A7 (5"x7")
Envelope : Red
• The TELLTALE HEART CARD
The card reveals a secret message underneath the heart within the skeletal chest cavity.
That's right you wanna be morticians and creepy kids! Your special someone will hafta crack open the ribs and destroy the heart to get to your special message!
More info HERE
Sorry NO custom messages.
Shops -inquire about wholesale pricing!
Size: A7 (5"x7")
Envelope : Red
This SATURDAY at 9pm I’m celebrating my 81st BIRTHDAY at Club 185
ALL INFO HERE https://www.facebook.com/events/2354725931227199/
..Jan 12 at 9 PM
..185 E Livingston Ave, Columbus, Ohio 43215
Since some of you kids are too cool for Facebook I’m posting here. Plus I didn’t feel like sifting through all my “friends” trying to find yo asses.
It's MY BIRTHDAY so buy me a drink and abuse the photobooth*!
Gifts aren't required, unless its money!
You have Sunday to be hung over!. *Bring CASH for the photobooth! It’s the ONLY bar in Columbus with a photobooth!!!
Here's what last year looked like!
Hope to see some of you there!!!
I’m finally getting back to life after taking a much needed break from email, social media, my phone and work. If I haven’t emailed you - expect something soon. Same goes for text messages and hang outs. THANKS for understanding!!!
Just wanted to take a minute and thank EVERYONE for their love and support throughout the past year.
If 2018 were my favorite record store then… to misquote Atmosphere - “I've gotten love, I've gotten drunk, I've gotten beat up in that parking lot”. Meaning I learned a TON this past year. I’m thankful for my amazing partner Andria and my amazing friends. People who love me and let me love them back.
I’m just as thankful for all the “beatings” the year has handed out to me.
I spent half of my professional year with freelancing on a ton of projects and the other half as a tattoo apprentice at Cauldron Tattoo under the mentorship of Mike Moses.
2018 HIGHLIGHTS and THANKS!
• I started the New Year in South America with Andria and her (huge) family. Año Nuevo!!! (Someone please send me a case of Aguardiente!)
• The print I originally designed as a wedding invite/gift for my friends Travis and Jenny (The KISS) ended up on the walls of the Columbus Museum of Art.
• I got to work with Megadeth! 13 year old me is still in shock. Same goes for the PIXIES, DIRTY HEADS, Lagunitas Beer and SOCIAL DISTORTION!
• Emma Ruth Rundle - check her out! Working with her and Jaye Jayle was a great experience. Very proud of the poster!
• My computer died a slow painful death! Woohoo!
• We (Andria and I) moved to a bigger (yet still affordable) house in Columbus. The owners claim that our place was built in the late 1800’s and used to be a brothel! Sadly, no ghosts. Thankfully I had GOOD friends to help us move all of my crap! Thanks David, Jason, Ashley, Jason, Andrew and the moving guy who acted like Marky Mark circa Funky Bunch era. Keep that dream alive homie.
• I was fortunate enough to see a TON of bands! Some clients - some not (yet).
• We traveled a ton to exhibit at Five Points Fest, Life is Beautiful, New York Comic Con and DesignerCon. SO much FUN and good times with friends and sharing my work with new people. Plus we stickered a lot! We WILL be back for 2019!!!
• Some of my work was used as HUGE window displays in Chicago for Art Gives Me Hope!
• I got to collaborate with the lovely folks at YESTERDAYS on some new pins!
• Justin and I celebrated our 6th year of us operating as METACRYPT with our 18th release of our baby boo SHUB ZEROTH. Hope you’re as stoked as we are and follow us into our 7th year!
• TATTOOING! I made the conscious effort to buckle down to focus on my apprenticeship and it is paying off. I overcame a few hurdles of confidence, line quality, composition and color this year. THANKS to all of my clients who took a chance and let me tattoo them. Especially the people who walked in as strangers and left as friends. THANK YOU Rebecca, Jim, Vanessa, Louie, German, Jason, Kelly Oooo, Eldon and everyone else! THANK YOU!
• CAULDRON TATTOO. BIG THANKS to my mentor -Mike Moses for putting up with someone as pretty as me and teaching me how to tattoo. Greg Lahm for sharing his secret knowledge of tattoo history and helping me realize that not any person can walk into a shop and learn to tattoo - you have to be invited. Emmanuel Mendoza for joining the shop and providing all of us with a unique perspective and style on life and art. C(K)ris Kirkpatrick for keeping us all in line.
• FREELANCE! Holy cow. Big THANKS to my freelance clients this year. I got to do some really cool work thanks to my clients. Some stuff won’t be coming out until later this year. Stoked nonetheless. THANK YOU for letting me push myself and my style further. 2019 is open! NudgeNudgeWinkWink
• YOUS GUYS! No point in writing any of this if it weren’t for the folks that found value in my work and felt it was worth peeling off a few greenbacks to be a part of what I’m trying to do.
Stick around cuz 2019 will be rad!